The Lion King
Come From Away
Dear Evan Hansen
The Book of Mormon
Wicked, The Gershwin Theatre
The Gershwin Theatre, located in the Paramount Plaza building in midtown Manhattan. It opened in 1972 as the Uris Theatre, along with a smaller sister theatre, the Circle in the Square. At the 1983 Tony Awards ceremony, it was renamed the Gershwin Theatre to honor the Gershwin brothers, George and Ira. It’s consistently included in the top five sellers, maybe because it has the second largest capacity of any theatre on Broadway with 1,933 seats.
The Lion King, Minskoff Theatre
The Minskoff Theatre, home to The Lion King since 2006, is unusual in that it is not at street level. It’s located on the third floor of One Astor Plaza at 1515 Broadway in midtown Manhattan. The building is named for the owners and builders of the building, Henry Minskoff and his sons, Myron, Jerome and Leo. Over the years it has hosted musicals, concerts and even a Miss Universe pageant.
Aladdin, New Amsterdam Theatre
The New Amsterdam Theatre, with its striking Art Nouveau architecture, was built in 1903 and is now designated as a New York City landmark. While it opened with Shakespeare’s A Midsummer’s Night Dream, it became known as the home to the world-famous Ziegfeld’s Follies in its early years, beginning in 1913. The interior was completely restored by the Walt Disney Company, making a night in the New Amsterdam a night to remember.
Kinky Boots, Al Hirschfeld Theatre
The Al Hirschfeld Theatre was opened in 1924 as the Martin Beck theatre, named for the Vaudeville promoter who managed the space until his death in 1940. Its opulent design is perfect for large musicals, with 1,424 seats and dressing rooms for 200 cast members. In 2002, it was named the Al Hirschfeld Theatre to honor the famous celebrity caricaturist as he approached his 100th birthday.
Hamilton, Richard Rodgers Theatre
Designed by Herbert J. Krapp, the Richard Rodgers Theatre was built by producers Irwin and Henry Chanin as Chanin’s 46th Street Theatre. In 1931, it became known as the 46th Street. The Chanins almost immediately leased it to the Schuberts, who ended up buying it in 1931. In 1990, the name was changed to the Richard Rodgers Theatre in honor of the famous composer. The theatre’s innovative sloped orchestra level means there is hardly a bad seat in the house.