Most pro football stadiums live a double life. During the fall and winter they’re home to raucous crowds of football fans. Then they go quiet until spring and summer when they turn into concert venues. Huge bands like U2 and Metallica are playing the stadium circuit this year, so we thought we’d take a look at ranking NFL stadium concerts to find the most popular shows for 2017.
Willie and Luke Top, But U2 and Metallica Dominate
The top-selling NFL stadium concert so far in 2017 has been Willie Nelson at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. His March 18 concert just barely beat out Luke Bryan, who performed two nights earlier. Bryan is one of the biggest artists in the country (in any genre) so it’s no surprise he and a country legend would sell like wildfire in Texas.
Following the two country stars are U2 and Metallica. U2’s upcoming concert at Hard Rock Stadium – home of the Miami Dolphins – ranks third, followed by Metallica at AT&T Stadium in Dallas on June 16. Two nights later, Metallica plays at Soldier Field in Chicago, which ranks as the fifth most popular concert at an NFL stadium this year.
The Livestock Show appears again in the sixth spot, followed by U2 in Dallas and then Metallica at Lincoln Financial Field and Sports Authority Field at Mile High in Denver. Banda El Recodo’s show from March 19 at NRG Stadium rounds out the top 10.
Top 10 Most Popular NFL Stadium Concerts – 2017
- Willie Nelson at NRG Stadium – March 18
- Luke Bryan at NRG Stadium – March 16
- U2 & OneRepublic at Hard Rock Stadium – June 11
- Metallica & Avenged Sevenfold at AT&T Stadium – June 16
- Metallica & Avenged Sevenfold at Soldier Field – June 18
- Chris Stapleton at NRG Stadium – March 9
- U2 & The Lumineers at AT&T Stadium – May 26
- Metallica & Avenged Sevenfold & Voltbeat at Lincoln Financial Field – May 12
- Metallica & Avenged Sevenfold & Voltbeat at Sports Authority Field at Mile High – June 7
- Banda El Recodo at NRG Stadium – March 19
The 2017 top 10 looks much different than what we saw in 2016. Beyoncé dominated last year, but it was also a more varied list with Bryan, Chesney, Guns N’ Roses and Springsteen all appearing. Paul McCartney – who just announced more shows for 2017 – just missed the top 10 as did Coldplay.
Top 10 Most Popular NFL Stadium Concerts – 2016
- Beyoncé at MetLife Stadium
- Beyoncé at Lincoln Financial Field
- Luke Bryan at AT&T Stadium
- Kenny Chesney at Gillette Stadium
- Metallica at U.S. Bank Stadium
- Guns N’ Roses at MetLife Stadium
- Kenny Chesney at MetLife Stadium
- Beyoncé at NRG Stadium
- Beyoncé at Levi’s Stadium
- Bruce Springsteen at Gillette Stadium
For the complete list of upcoming concerts, visit our NFL Stadiums page at Event Tickets Center.